Monday 6 February 2012

My Photography

I made some photographs that presented manipulating text that I had found from the media. The text was used to sell products, and more importantly, to sell the illusion of perfection, and what that supposedly will bring us. I thought that taking the text away from the advertisement that it was originally collaborating with, and presenting it on its own, would make viewers focus solely on the words. I wanted people to see how damaging and horrific the messages that we see can be. Reading them as they stand alone made me realise how we may not consciously be aware of what we are being told, but sub-consciously, all of these messages can have dramatic effects to our minds. The images I made were deliberately simple. I wanted the viewer to fully focus on the text, and not have their eye drawn to an area of the photo that may be attention seeking. I hoped that these image could create a conversation with the viewer.



I then decided to put the phrases back into some form of context. I thought about places in our day-to-day lives where are conscious mind might prescribe us with emotions linked to these messages. I wanted to use the words in places where we usually would not see them, but places where we may have related thoughts. I want to present the idea that these damaging messages that society pushes and pushes on us, do not only effect us during the few minutes of adverts between TV shows, the moments that a billboard is within our view, or the second we flick the magazine page... They can effect us all day, everyday. They pollute our minds with forced concepts of viewing ourselves and others. They work their magic when we don't even realise - when we step into the bath, when we open the fridge. Creating these messages in relation to my own personal space has been quite a therapeutic activity. I understand that when these messages become so deeply ingrained into the mind, people can find it so hard to detach themselves from them. This is unhealthy, and is exactly what mass media wants.

Lose to Win

You can never be too Thin

It's all about Starvation

Nothing tastes as good as Skinny feels

The more you Subtract, The more you Add
Eat paper Lose weight
It's hard to be a Little girl, if you're not


I have edited the light and colour balance of my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment